Thursday, February 21, 2013

Katniss Braid by Sheep

HAPPY HUNGER GAMES!!

Today I thought I would show you guys how to do a Katniss braid, one of my faves.

Now, I don't know the real name of this braid, but after the Hunger Games movie, the name sorta caught on.

So here's what you'll need:

A brush or comb
A hair tie
Braiding experience (you should know how to do a regular braid and a French braid beforehand)

I like to do this braid either when I'm running late in the morning and my hair is sort of a mess, or I just washed my hair and I don't feel like leaving it out.

Start by parting your hair to the side, NOT directly in the middle because I find that that looks a little weird (I also just don't like middle parts in general).

Take a small section of hair on the parted side with less hair, so if you have bangs, they will be left out that. Split that section into 3 equal parts (the smaller the parts, the more precise the braid will be).

Now is the time that you would usually put one strand over the other and pick up a piece and another strand and so on if you were gonna do a regular French braid, but THIS is an awesome kick ass Katniss braid, so it's a bit different...

Instead of crossing strands over, cross them UNDER. Keep picking up strands as usual (remember that the smaller the strand you pick up, the more accurate the braid will look) but remember to cross them under.

You'll soon notice that the braid will look like its sticking up out of your head, unlike a regular French braid that looks like its in your head. So keep braiding and don't stop!! You wanna keep the braid going around the back of the head.

This part is hard because you have to reach your arms back pretty far, but it's okay, you get some muscles AND some cool looking hair out of doing this braid :). When you're getting around the back of your head, it's really important to pull the hair tight and DON'T have a loose grip, or else the braid will sag and fall apart.

Once the braid reaches the opposite ear, stop "Katniss" braiding and just do a regular braid. As usual, leave a little bit of hair at the end and secure it with a hair tie.

And there you go! You look like Katniss Everdeen! Crossing the strands under instead of over makes the braid stick out, so you look really tough and fierce. Your first time doing the braid is really hard and it might not look exactly how you wished, but keep trying and you'll be able to do it in less then 5 minutes!

The first couple times, I would do this braid on someone else so you get the hang of it, and then try it on yourself. I think it's also easiest to do it with wet hair because its nice and straight, and when my hair is dry, it's really curly and wavy so it's hard to keep track of my strands.

So I hope you try this braid, it just looks awesome on everybody!

Stay cool, my sheep. And may the odds be ever in your favor ;).

-Sheep


No comments:

Post a Comment